Born out of the advent of professional rugby at the end of 1995, nine New Zealand provincial rugby unions came together to form the Wellington Hurricanes for the start of the inaugural Super 12 competition in 1996. The Wellington, Taranaki, Manawatu, Hawke's Bay, East Coast, Poverty Bay, Wanganui, Wairarapa-Bush and Horowhenua-Kapiti unions all formed the Hurricanes region. The new franchise was the largest of the five in New Zealand, representing 920,000 people.
The Hurricanes Alumni consists of ex and current players, management (including coaches, managers, physios, doctors & trainers), Hurricanes staff and ex and current board of directors, CEO's, CFO's and Hurricane Ambassadors, and anyone else whom the Trustees deem worthy.
To help and support Hurricanes players and staff, and their families with their life inside and outside of rugby, now and in the future.
- Personal development through coaching, learning, networking and mentoring
- Connection and engagement which we facilitate and promote
- Giving back to ensure a strong future for Hurricanes rugby.
- Our history and heritage - we acknowledge and appreciate its contribution to Hurricanes rugby now
- Transparency, integrity and excellence which underpin our relationships and business